Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bloody nose and Stubby Legs

I walked. I walked for charity. I walked for cake. I walked for ice cream. I walked because the lady in front of me was like 40 years older than me and I couldn't catch up with her. I tried. I really did. I tried so hard, my nose bled. So I wiped it on my sleeve.

Then I was a short walker, trying to catch up with an older, taller lady, with blood on my sleeve, and tears in my eyes. So I walked faster...and got passed by a lady, her man and their dog. Even the dog had longer legs than me.

Did I mention this was for charity? Did I also mention that I was spying on this event to see if the National Kidney Foundation would be interested in hosting a competitive 5k walk/run to raise money in a new exciting and possibly lucrative way?

Yeah. Spying for charity.

So anyway, I finally make it to the finish line and people cheer and I cry more because the timer said 55 minutes. I was like" 55 minutes, slow-slow-slow! I was only 3 minutes slower when I was dragging Pig 1 with me."

Anyway, I had to calm down so I went to Stitching Memories, and I was stinky and covered in blood, and they said "how are you?" So I told them *see above story

Yeah, I did I told them all that crap about being short, and slow and stinky and bloody. Then I went home and checked the results to see how my neighbor did, because she is fit, and fast, and awesome! She walks like a bat out of Hades. I copied her stride while I could still see her, it must really works because she got 2nd over all for walkers, and number 1!!! in her age group.

Me...I got 3rd in my age group! 45th over all, but that's out of 361. All that whining, all the blood, it turns out, it was worth it. The end timer was an estimate timer, my official chip gave me a time of 46:22. Stubby legs and all.

5 comments:

tracyb said...

You kick ass!

mono loco said...

How very, very Tom Robbins of you!

Linda said...

You go Girl!

Carina said...

That's awesome! Not the bloody nose part, but everything else was! Whoo!

You know, they always need new people in the Kalamazoo Valley Walkers group. They're a bit, um, dedicated, though. My mom's on the board, if that tells you anything, but she makes it sound like fun. She'd know how to help with the kidney walk thing.

Holly Bee said...

Hugs and kisses to you all!!

Thanks for the info about K Valley Walkers Carina, I was wondering about them...

Ahhh, Mono Loco! You got it!