Tuesday, May 22, 2007

What did happen at Barnes and Noble?

Some of you know I have been trying to be a nicer, calmer, less flipping out physco kind of person. It had been going really well, until yesterday...

I really wanted to get a copy of Charmed Knits. I didn't want to save money and order it through Knit Picks, I wanted it NOW. That may be the under lying problem to my shopping adventure.

So when Marty, Owen and I were in Barnes and Noble we skipped over to the knitting section, looking for Charmed Knits, a knitting book, with patterns, for adults to use and make lovely Harry Potter inspired items. This is in fact not a reading book, or a Harry Potter novel, or a children's book. We were looking for a knitting book. Still with me on this one? Knitting Book.

After much time in the knitting book area, we decided that they were either out of stock, or might be in the middle area as part of a Harry Potter/Barnes and Noble marketing extravaganza. I took my Cat Bordhi book and dragged my troopers over to the train table in the children's area.

After a potty emergency, Owen, not me. Owen and I ended up back in the children's area looking for Marty who went missing. While searching for Marty I found 8 copies of Charmed Knits on the back side of a Hey, Reading is Fun Kids! style display in the children's book area.

I politely (really, I had not broken yet) asked the girl working in the children's area if she knew if this was always stocked over here. That's when she got rude with me, and I decided she was stupid.

I tried to explain to the girl that it was a knitting book, not a children's book and that I had wasted 20 minutes of my life searching for it only to find it stupidly stocked in the kids area. If I were a knitter with no kids, I would have never found it. (Ok, I could have asked my favorite Bookseller, but he wasn't working)

She then explained to me that it was always where it was, would never be moved, and ugh.

So I said "Thank you for being so helpful and thoughtful at your job, you really are great at customer service and I hope that you continue to spread your special brand of sunshine to all sorts of people to day."

Ok, it really was less nice than that, but I didn't swear, but we really did speak loudly to each other, and I had to get out before I was identified and asked to never come back. Yeah. She's just lucky my Dad was there. Wait, he carries a knife, and is probably where I get my mean streak. No, that's from PK.

Also, my lawn guy may be refusing to mow my lawn because his kid was over at our house when I yelled at my kids about smashing into my car. The whole anger thing isn't working out very well for me. Rum? Where are you?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya know, I didn't HEAR anything loud going on in B & N, but I DID see a mushroom cloud forming over the Children's area while I was AWOL from the family group...
Dad

Mrs. H said...

What kind of stewpud is that? Maybe you should go to your LYS and organize a bunch of knitters to go in one at a time to act like they've hunted the store for the book and then ask if they know they've put it in the wrong section. But make sure they all ask the same employee, though.

And the lawn guy... what would he do if his kid smashed into his car? Buy him ice cream? :)

Holly Bee said...

Sorry to pick on you so much Dad, you're an easy target! I love you though :)

Melissa said...

LOL! Mrs. H has a fantastic idea!

Carina said...

No, it's probably that the lawn guy just doesn't feel like it in this heat. I swear I'm melting.

Btw, I totally would've gotten upset with that lady. Why would you put a knitting book (all of it, too) in the wrong section and then get defensive about it?

Holly Bee said...

Ah, thanks for the support friends! All that trying to be nice just couldn't handle that amount of stupid.

As for Mrs. H's idea...I have updated other Kzoo area knitters, and they are hip to helping Barnes and Noble understand where knitting books belong :) Let the games begin.

Mrs. H said...

Woot! That's the spirit! And if they persist, jab 'em with your needles! :)

Matt Church said...

Duh. It's a knitting book. Thanks for putting B&N in their place!

Holly Bee said...

Haha! Thanks for the support Matt!