Saturday, January 20, 2007

Bounceland and Handweavers

On Wednesday Harry went to a class friend's birthday party at Bounceland in Kalamazoo. I was a little nervous, because I didn't know if I was supposed to stay, or go away for this event. I ended up staying because I am trying to act more like a human and do that whole socializing thing.

So, what is Bounceland? It's this really cool industrial pole barn building off of 9th street in Oshtemo filled with those outdoor bouncy things. Sounds crazy, but it was really cool.

I was there for about 10 minutes when I thought "damn, I didn't bring any knitting!" Then I realized that just up 9th street was Handweavers Inspiring Yarn Shop. I figured they had to be open late one night a week, and if it wasn't Wednesdays, I'd stop into Mi Ranchito for a drink, uh, appetizer.

To my extreme happiness, Wednesdays at Handweavers is their knit night, and they are open until 8. It was very dreamy. Or it was really cold out and my glasses fogged up when I first went in, but I am going to say dreamy.

Why I will spend my money at Handweavers instead of Stitching Memories...

1) I was sincerely greeted when I came in.

2) I was not stalked as if I had 'shoplifter' tattooed on my forehead.

3) Owner lady came over to check on how I was doing, and actually talked to me for like 5 minutes-just to be nice.

4) They were just plain nice, and not snotty, like some yarn store employees/shoppers.

There, all hail Handweavers on 9th street in Kalamazoo.

Except you Threadbear in Lansing, you stay rockin' like you are.

Back at Bounceland, kids had a rocking, bouncing good time. When I went in to pick Harry up they were eating cupcakes, and sort of playing Charades. I mean sort of because it mostly looked like 1 kid flapping his arms, and 10 other kids screaming. Either way, they had a great time.

3 comments:

Carina said...

I'm still ticked about Stitching Memories trying to steal my student. Yes, I am in on the boycott again. No more sales from this knitter.

Btw, can you just take the kids to Bounceland? I need to look that place up.

nikkapotamus said...

That is my ideal day too! Let the little one play at Bounceland, and I get new yarn!

I'm not from Kalamazoo, so I don't get up there that often, but I wanted to say that I really like Handweavers too. The LYS in my town is NOT friendly and does NOT have the atmosphere of Handweavers.

Holly Bee said...

Nikkapotamus!!

Since this post Handweavers has moved!!! They are now at

1924 Whites Road
Kalamazoo, MI 49008
(269) 353-5905

In the back of the Oakwood stripmall!
It's a bigger location, call first if you need directions.

If you are in town on a thursday between 1-3 check out Waterstreet that's where the Zombie Prom Date Knitters will be! It's in the same shopping area as Handweavers!