Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Binder Park Zoo Woman vs Bird

Well, some of you may know that I hate birds. I figure, zoo=birds in cages. But I forgot, the Binder Park Zoo in the Creek is very liberal with it's free range bird policy when it comes to peacocks! The place is lousy with the accursed beasts!

Yeah, pretty peacocks, lovely blue tails, how can a person be afraid of that? For the record, that's the Daddy bird. The peahen is the Momma bird. These are ugly, angry, and this time of year, surrounded by baby peacocks. As a Mom of three, I know that keeping an eye on your entire brood makes a person/bird, even more angry than normal.

Owen loves "chickies". He spotted several chickies down by the pond at the Zoo. Cyrus also noticed the duck-a-ling chickies and both ran up to get a closer look. Arrgggh, that's how the stand off started. A Momma peacock thought we were going to swipe her ugly chickies and stood between me and my chickies.

I stood there, staring at this dumb bird, shouting encouraging words to my kids "wow, aren't the ducklings cute, oh, look at them swim" all while thinking "this bird is getting closer, it's going to peck out my eyes."

Instead of enjoying the zoo, I stood for 5 minutes staring down a bird. I would like to let you know that I did not back down, or get attacked. A nice zoo keeper walked by and shooed the offensive bird away uttering "man I hate these things."

1 comment:

Carina said...

I hate those birds, too, and I like peacocks. The problem is that they have too many, and the zoo's practically overrun.

I don't know how you didn't totally freak out. I probably would've.