Friday, June 18, 2010

Tour de AWESOME!

Pull our your Yellow Shirt and your English-French Dictionary-it's time for that annual bout of biking insanity...

TOUR DE FRANCE
July 3-July 25th 
Viva le France!

As a young lass growing up, I was very into biking. Ok, I was very into the movie Breaking Away.  I do think that's why I have a love of Bikes, Dennis Quad, and Quirk.  That movie really showed friends, heart, and quirk! Go, go put it on your netflix list right now.

I'm a crafty-craft knitting person, not a bike enthusiast, how do I follow along?  Why by spinning my wheels with The Team of Wonder on the



During the grueling bike race through the lovely countryside of France, the Team of Wonder will be bravely spinning our wheels too.  Ok, so maybe making yarn isn't the same, but I swear sometimes I fall too.


Day 1 of the Tour 2009- The Great Bike Drop Spindle Challenge!

Last year we were Team Zombie Slayers.  We had a ton of participants, a Yellow Leader shirt, and loads of fun! Whenever a person got the leader shirt, they violated it in one way or another.
                                   I chose to bedazzle.  Mostly because I own a bedazzler.

This year we Zombie Slayers don't have a team of their own, but many of us have joined the Team of Wonder, you know Wonder Why Alpaca Farm, Alpacas, fluff, spinning.  It just seemed to fit.

Here are the Guidelines (Not Rules) as stated in the Ravelry Tour de Fleece Forum:

Guidelines (NOT RULES):
  1. Spin every day the Tour rides, if possible. Saturday July 3rd through Sunday July 25th. Days of rest: Monday July 12th, Wednesday July 21st. (Just like the actual tour)
  2. Spin something challenging Thursday July 22nd. (The Tour’s toughest mountain stage from Pau up the legendary Col du Tourmalet)
  3. Take a button if you want one. Then we can use the button on our blogs in show of solidarity. Take it from here or grab a clean one from the flickr pool. Come join the flickr pool!
  4. Wear yellow on Sunday July 25th to announce victory. Why not wear yellow on any day you feel particularly successful? (Yellow is the color of the race leader in the Tour - but here we are all ‘race leaders’)
  5. Other colors if desired: Green (sprinter - think FAST), Polka-dot (climber - as in uphill), and white (rookie)
How do you join the Team of Wonder?

1.  Go to Ravelry
     hit join this group in the upper right
3.  Leave a message at the Team of Wonder Thread-You know, something like "Count me in" or "I'll see you in hell!"


Events, Prizes and General Chaos!

July 4th-Home Grange 4th of July Parade.  Wonder Why Alpacas will be there for the after party.  I'm going to Drop Spindle while walking the Parade Route-aka the middle of nowhere.

After, bring your spinning wheel, spindle or craft of choice and join the Grangers for Free Hot Dogs and fun.
July 9th-Spinning at the Wonder Why Alpaca Farm

TBD-Drop Spindle Bike Race!

Prizes-
Bump of Wonder Roving
Subscription to Spin-off Magazine
Yellow Shirt
The People's ovation and fame forever

This was part of Fiber Arts Friday.  For more fibery goodness, check out the Mother Ship of Friday Fiber Blogs.







9 comments:

Linda said...

Breaking Away! I haven't seen that in...well...since it was new. But age aside I'm so in on this bike spinning thing. (Now theres a vision for you)

Dutch Hollow said...

Ooo I want to play.. I hope my spinning wheel gets here before July 3rd!

Kathryn Ray said...

Hmmm, not sure I can commit, but you do have me thinking... I wonder if I can bring a drop spindle on a plane.

Allison said...

OOOh La La! I wish I was spinning now.

WonderWhyGal said...

You are the best co-captain! I am looking forward to this years activities. It's hard to believe I was just learning to spin during the last Tour de Fleece.

Yes, you can take drop spindles on a plane as far as I know.

Really, all of you should join the Team of Wonder. We plan on having fun and that's the whole point - to have fun!

jessecreations said...

You gals are going to have a lot of fun! I'm really psyched about TdF for some serious spinning time!

Holly Bee said...

Join in! It's all about the fun!

Carina said...

I'll be there for the Grange fun. I want to watch the parade this year, as I don't have the kids and won't have the fun of walking with them. I still haven't explained that to Stephen yet, as he thinks he's riding his bike in the parade this year. Ummmm . . . yeah. Bad mommy.

I have so much spinning to get done that it's crazy. I'm hoping to finish at least one project. That's all I can hope for, I think. Totally count me in!

Anonymous said...

Plus, "Breaking Away" was filmed in the holy land of Bloomington Indiana Limestone Karst Cave area.

Spin away, Ladies, enjoy the trip!
Sirfrogsalot