Friday, March 05, 2010

Kidney Kozies Ahoy!

You've heard the term Kidney Kozy, but you may not know what one is.

What is a Kidney Kozy?
Kidney Kozy-A shawl, lap robe, full sized quilt or afghan used to keep one warm, and give comfort while going through Kidney Dialysis

What's up with the K's? 
The Original batch of Kidney Kozies were perhaps called Cozies.  The name was soon changed to Kozy due to the high number of Kidney Kozies being knit at the Koffee Klutch in Galesburg, MI. 

Kidney Kozies-over 100 were donated last year!!

Do Kidney Kozies need to be knit?

Oh, gosh no!  Crochet, knit, quilted or fleece.  The main thing is that the Kidney Kozy should be easy care, machine washable.  It's also highly advisable to have fun while making a Kidney Kozy.  Oh, for no reason other than you should love what you do, and do what you love. 


A car load of Kidney Kozies

Who participates in the Kidney Kozy Project?
The Zombie Prom Date Knitters-SW Michigan and South Carolina Chapters
Kalamazoo Knit and Crochet Meet Up Group
Home Grange #129

I'd really like to see the Kidney Kozy Project get adopted by the Michigan State Grange, and eventually be supported by National Grange.

I'd also like participation from the National Kidney Foundation, matching dialysis units with local knitting/quilting/community service groups.

Who gets the Kidney Kozies?
Anyone who needs one!  Could be a child, man, woman, young, or old.

So far, we have donated to dialysis units in Kalamazoo and Calhoun Counties.





















Kidney Kozy Donated by Home Grange #129
20 quilts were dropped off yesterday! 


How can I help?
Make a kidney kozy!
or
Spread the word about the Kidney Kozy Project!
or
Donate to my National Kidney Foundation Walk Team! Hey, it's coming up and I need help.


I may goof around and have A LOT of fun, but I really am always working on something and trying to help other people.  It makes me feel good to share the fun! 

So...for more fun stop by the Wonder Why Alpaca Farm's blog for Fiber Arts Friday!

6 comments:

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

Cheers to you Holly! That's a lot of Kidney Kozies - I'm impressed!

Linda said...

Over 100 Kidney Kozies donated last year?!? Hoe-Lee CRAP! You are AWESOME!!!! It's all about Others with you Holly. You are the best!

WonderWhyGal said...

Thank you for sharing the Kidney Kozies as part of Fiber Arts Friday. I will finish my basketcase kozie soon so we can add it to the numbers that we donate.

We will go national...especially with you leading the team.

Allison said...

It's amazing what good can come from our knitting! Good job.

Bec said...

I casted on one last week. Since I am in bipolar knitting mode, I have no idea when I'll finish it.

Miss Holly you rock!

jessecreations said...

What a great project! That's really awesome!

Jess