Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Where's that spiral scarf? Here it is!



Ok, the reason I haven't been able to take photos of my recent Fergalicious knits has nothing to do with camera failure. It's all got to do with sweatpants. Yes, I am in a sweatpants rut. Believe me, it's not a pretty sight. I just keep wearing them in the off chance that I will go to the Y, run 2 times around the track, pass out and get taken to the hospital mistaken for a homeless person.
I think it's time to replace the pants. I'm thinking of upgrading to the microfleece sweats outfit from Eddie Bauer. Yep Cart, I'm that old.



Here is the spiral scarf.


Use a bigger needle size than yarn calls for, and at least a 24" circular.

Cast on 200. Knit one row straight (laugh here). Knit 2 in all stitches across. Knit 3 rows straight. Knit 2 in all stitches across. Knit 1-3 more rows straight. For you math folks out there, feel free to do the math on the stitch count, but I'm warning you, you'll cry. Bind off. Trust me, the thing will spiral. I had my doubts, but it works.

This is a variation on the free pattern that was in the Washington Post
in 2006. I did not come up with this pattern, I just love it dearly and thank the lovely people who made it available. Thank you, thank you!!




Other scarf pattern, untested by me, verbally given to me by a random stranger. I don't know where it originally came from... Is this like taking candy from a stranger? Will something bad happen?


Don't Take Patterns from Strangers Scarf
Lion brand boucle and some random needles (ok, she didn't exactly say it that way.) I used 12's.
cast on 12.
knit all rows until scarf is desired size. 2 skeins of the Lion Boucle works well.
drop 1st 3 stitches, on purpose, for a reason. just drop them and pull the working yarn over to the middle stitches.
bind off 6.
drop last 3 stitches.
Yep, drop half of your stitches. Look at all that hard work go down the drain, or into the void, or wherever drop stitches really go.
What really happens is this. The dropped stitches, with a little work, become super cute edge fringe. No, I don't trust it either. That's why I am heading over to my local big chain crafty store to pick up some Lion Brand and do a test run. That's right, I think I just admitted to swatching a scarf. Oh the insanity!
The scarf pattern works!! The Fringe is huuuuuge!




9 comments:

Holly Bee said...

It really does work.

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

I believe you.

Laurel said...

I made the spiral scarf 5 times for christmas! I only started with 75 to 100 stitches tho...still turns out long & cute. I was particularly happy with the 2 for my nieces--1 in a fuzzy something or other/leftover alpaca and 1 in a VERY, VERY soft blue-green boucle. Dd's teacher adores her's!

Holly Bee said...

Glad to help spread peace and knit love through out the world!

Leigh Hall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
George said...

I like it a lot - by the way I also like the background of your site a lot too! :)

Anonymous said...

The "snot" is disgusting and darkens your whole site

knitwithsnot said...

Wow, Anonymous, at least I have the courage to stand up for what I am. Snot, is what I have, and that is what I give. If you don't like it, don't bother read, commenting or stopping back.

momluvs4kidz2000 said...

I will be trying this (the stranger danger scarf) after I finish making myself crazy with the short row scarf I'm trying now, thank you! I like you're style. :-D